Thursday, May 10, 2007

Thursday 5/10

Hectic, but not too bad. I woke up around 8 am, got showered, dressed, out the door around 9 and up to the college where I picked up my REAL diploma...



and changed my address. Then it was off to Keva Juice for a nice Red Bull smoothie :) There's something that I'll miss! After that I went over to Circuit City and picked up a DVD burner for the Dentist's office (I do some PC support work occasionally) and went out to install it and make sure that everything worked OK.

I make my way home from the Dentist's place .. by this time it's nearly 4pm -- where'd the day go!? Start packing... I think I've thrown out half the house by now... 3 computer monitors (kinda working, very fuzzy, junk), 2 computers (old stuff, not really worthy of donation), LOTS of cords and cables, old books, notebooks and other schoolwork.... MAD old PCI and ISA modems, sound and video cards and various other PC parts -- old school bits of SDRAM, a 5.25" floppy drive (ya, the real floppy disks) -- just junk I've been collecting for way too long.

What a day. Dave stopped in just as I had finished throwing away nearly all my old PC parts and we decided to go get a Greg's Pizza.. apparently they're the 'famous' pizza place in JC -- Rick mentioned told me that I couldn't leave town without trying one... and yes, AWESOME pizza man! A few welcome phone calls from friends -- Brandon and Jay stopped by to sign the picture that everyone from CRR chipped in to get me for a going away present (they were unable to make yesterday night's photo signing. I'LL SOOOOO MISS ALL YOU GUYS!!!

Then Dave and I started digging into the route planning a bit deeper. At some point during all of this Dave gets up and says something like "Man, I'm gonna miss that view, It'll never be like that again." To which I respond "Well, I'll miss it (looking at the blue ridge just over campus -- a view which I have too often overlooked in the 5 years living in Johnson City)... but you'll be back to see it again!" He looks directly at me and says "No, I mean that beautiful line of vehicles in the parking lot!" I crack a smile and hand him my camera phone...

From left to right... Dave's 600RR, My R6, My truck, Dave's S2000, (the blank spot there belongs to my Lumina), and Dave's Civic. We rule this parking lot :)


BTW -- thanks to everyone who chipped in with route ideas and landmarks...
here's what we've got so far:

Corporate Summary

1) Johnson City, TN to Kansas City, MO 836 mi.
2) Kansas City, MO to Mt. Rushmore 727 mi.
3) Mt. Rushmore to Devils Tower 131 mi.
4) Devils Tower to Sheridan, WY 165 mi.
5) Sheridan, WY to Old Faithful. 266 mi.
6) Old Faithful to North Cascades National Pk. 741 mi.
7) N Cascades National Pk. to Tumwater, WA 188 mi.

Activities Breakdown

Saturday 5/12/07:
1) Johnson City, TN to Kansas City, MO 836 mi.
*St. Louis Arch

Sunday 5/13/07:
2) Kansas City, MO to Mt. Rushmore 727 mi.
*Get near Mt. Rushmore and camp for the night

Monday 5/14/07:
*See Mt. Rushmore
3) Mt. Rushmore to Devils Tower 131 mi.
*See Devils Tower
4) Devils Tower to Sheridan, WY 165 mi.

Tuesday 5/15/07:
5) Sheridan, WY to Old Faithful. 266 mi.
*Ride US-14 through the Bighorns
*Make camp, stay night at Old Faithful

Wednesday 5/16/07:
*Ride Yellowstone Park
*Ride to Grand Teton Mtn.
*Return to camp at Old Faithful

Thursday 5/17/07
6) Old Faithful to North Cascades National Pk. 741 mi.
*Find hotel near Cascades

Friday 5/18/07
*Camp in Cascades National Park

Saturday 5/19/07
*Camp in Cascades National Park

Sunday 5/20/07
*Camp in Cascades National Park

Monday 5/21/07
7) N Cascades National Pk. to Tumwater, WA 188 mi.

Tuesday 5/22/07
*Fly / Ride to San Francisco (Depending on my energy level)

Until tomorrow -0-
Friday's Todo list:
1. Northern Tools for a higher plate mounting bracket and a set of bearing buddies (and a grease gun)
2. Install bearing buddies, load them up w/ grease
3. Finish Packing
4. Laundry
5. Dishes / Kitchen Cleaning
6. Load the truck bed
7. Do a few wheelies w/ Dave's RR
8. Load the bikes
9. Double check everything
10. GOTO sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear about the route change. I think you'll enjoy Yellowstone/Grand Teton more than the trip across the dry high plains of southern Idaho and northern Oregon.
Be careful about focusing on the North Cascades if you're interested in hiking. Linda was reading an article about the trails at Mt. Ranier NP, which suffered extensive damage in last year's storms. The NPS is calling for volunteers, and doesn't know when the trails will reopen. You might do well to check out trail information before you head there, and consider an alternative if the news isn't good.